Friday, July 1, 2011

Onward to Khiva

This photo is of the inner city of Khiva. Khiva is located about 30KM south of Urgench, Uzbekistan toward and just on the border of present day Turkmenistan. In the 19th century and a few centuries prior, the city of Khiva conjured up slave traders and desert crossings ridden with tales of marauding tribesmen. Luckily as a 21st century traveler I managed my way to Khiva via the Tashkent domestic airport and a 1 hour and 45 minute flight to Urgench. However, this flight makes the list as one of my most stressful, and those who know me understand that is quite the statement coming from this frequent flyer. The story goes that Khiva was founded when Shem, Noah's son, discovered a well here, and along with his people settled the area known centuries later and today as Khorezm.

My Uzbek friends and I were booked on the same flight from Tashkent to Urgench, but in an effort to compensate for the lack of aircraft, Uzbekistan Airways split the passenger list and took two smaller Russian-made aircraft instead of the much safer, stable, and larger Airbus 320 (the use of the A320 on this flight was part of my decision to book this specific flight rather than an earlier one which was scheduled to use Russian-made aircraft). If you have ever been on a Russian-made plane or simply google "air disasters Russian aircraft" you'll have a better understanding of why I simply do not trust these planes - oh, and the fact that many if them pre-date me by at least a decade also makes me cringe a little. The flight was akin to an 1 hour and 45 minute roller coaster - the first bumps can be fun but after awhile you just want to get off and visit the lazy river ride. "Please Dear God, let me get down from here safely and I swear I'll never fly on a Russian-made plane again." Unfortunately, I've said this prayer before and have broken the promise many times since and will most likely again soon thanks to the lowest bidder.

But enough complaining!! We made it safely to Urgench. It was a mild 40 Celsius, that's triple digits for my Fahrenheit friends! It's a dry heat but that doesn't really help... Look at me complaining again!

I am so excited to be in the cradle of a civilization that dates back to 3000 BC!! Of course much of what is left is in ruins but pretty cool ruined fortresses sitting in the desert... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment